FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The Double-Almost-RTW, Part 2: SIN-LHR-Europe-YOW and back on SQ/AC C and lotsa LCCs
Old Sep 23, 2006, 5:52 pm
jpatokal

The Double-Almost-RTW, Part 2: SIN-LHR-Europe-YOW and back on SQ/AC C and lotsa LCCs

Reduction

After completing the first half of my almost-RTW, I chilled out a bit by flying a mere 11 flights and visiting four countries in under two months. As it turned out, these travels were more interesting then what I thought would be the main event, but as usual the amount of time spent actually living life is inversely proportional to the amount of time available for writing trip reports, so you'll have to content yourself with the table of contents and make up your own story.

So one ordinary-seeming Thursday I unpeeled myself from my bed (alone) at 1:30 PM, filed away the silk scarves and pink fuzzy handcuffs and realized that today, I'd be sleeping in a SpaceBed. Eight hours of laundry, gym, money exchange, overwatering plants and underpacking pineapples later, I stopped in front of the door to my apartment and felt the feeling hit me: BOOM -- on the road again.

I took the long way, enjoying my last honest-to-Gawd sheen of tropical sweat for a while as I lugged my carryons to the MRT station and danced the ballet of two transfers on my way to Changi. Two escalators brought me from the station into the heart of Terminal 2 and the surprisingly quiet SQ business check-in island, where I managed a last-minute seat swap to a window seat on the upper deck (woot!). The Silver Kris lounge, by contrast, was packed with unhappy-looking middle-aged punters, like a Patpong gogo bar minus the dancers. I wedged myself and a plate of unhappy-looking hors d'oeuvres into a corner seat next to a morose older couple and once again wondered just why this place is so highly regarded.