FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Trying to leave BKK during a coup
View Single Post
Old Sep 20, 2006, 9:19 am
Trajan

In Bangkok, Ive witnessed both the horrible events of May 1992 when they were shooting in the streets in Bangkok (mass student and middle class protests against the military regime then in place, which did not hestitate to shoot) and the calm peaceful coup of last night....

at times it IS unnerving (but mostly its more psychological than real because of the unknown and unexpected)...the sight of tanks in the streets and military transports with gun emplacements and full army units is not a normal tourist sight for most in the west.. so its understandable...

[but note, these sights were in the immediate government area---all day today I travelled around the city and saw no other sights or even hints of a coup, other than lighter than normal traffic because of the holiday announced today--the shopping malls were busy...]

but having said that, I feel safer in Bangkok psychologically and in reality (and in any district) at any time of night walking alone, than I do in say many places in Los Angeles or New York at normal times... so please dont get a distorted view of Bangkok...you will see what I mean if you visit Bangkok and get to know it (other than a quick visit) ^

Last edited by Trajan; Sep 20, 2006 at 9:25 am