FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Marriott Bonvoy hotels in or near London Heathrow Airport
Old Sep 16, 2006, 12:09 am
Volvic

Location: In a plane over Europe; I mean in the back of a plane over Europe !!!
Programs: HHonors, Scandic, Priority Club, Marriott, AF/KL FB, BAEC, AB TB, LH M&M
Marriott Bonvoy hotels in or near London Heathrow Airport

I just checked out from the Marriott hotel near London Heathrow and I'm typing this post from the BA T1 lounge (thanks AA for the Plat challenge ).

I wished to add my comment to an existing review but
Originally Posted by system error trying to perform a query
Network Error (tcp_error)

A communication error occurred: ""
The Web Server may be down, too busy, or experiencing other problems preventing it from responding to requests. You may wish to try again at a later time.

For assistance, contact your network support team.
It was my first time at the Marriott LHR airport hotel, my past stays were all at the Renaissance one. Yes, nice view of the landstrip from the Exec. Lounge but nothing more. Here I was surprised:
first I tried to save a bit (from my own pocket) and I gave a try to the free bus transfer. From the platform where the stands 18-20 are located, I waited for the first between 105*, 140*, 555** and 557**.
[* every 10-12 minutes, ** every hour]. It was easy, perhaps I 'disembarked' too early but it was a nice walk, and yes, if you are sure of the bus stop is almost in front of the hotel. And here you go dear hoppaBus or taxidriver who say that 10 GBP is not enough ! A bit of a crowd but with 4 check in desks it was quick. As a Marriott Platinum I got free access to the lounge and I eat a few appetizers like watermelon bits with a slice of ham, warm rice with fish and the usual mix of green salad. No reason to go and visit the two resturants (as Plat, I was informed of a 10% off... good for the tip). If in a really cash driven mode, a McDonald is near the hotel, you need to pass over the Radisson Edwardian whatever.

Heath center, nice one and by the way I never saw so many good looking women in a gym. Usually in an hotel gym you see just one and the look is up to your luck. In a Renaissance in Paris, once I saw one wearing a beauty mask in the steaming room it was a bit scary. Well, I presume they were crew member from Emirates due to a few T-shirts I noticed. The swimming pool was ok, perhaps feeling a bit too cold after the sauna, steaming room and jacuzzi.

The room was OK, no separate shower but a thick bathrobe and Aromatherapy products. And I got two complimentary bottles of water int he room and no, I chosed the 500 points as Plat gift. The only two missing point were the in room safe (well, there was none !) and the phones. I called the emergency line because.... no phone mask at all. I used my Marriott menory and I easily located the hand free button, so I picked the second one and so I was informed it as the emergency number when I spoke with the operator. Anyway, I apologized and I told about the 'blank' buttons so anyway a nasty wake up call was arranged. Why nasty ? Because of the hour ! 5:00 am

At check out, I saw the hoppaBus just outside so I asked to ahev a ticket and to charge it to the room and yes, I was able to get both (ticket and bus). After the Marriott it stopped only at the Sheraton and then dirctly to T1. Not too bad. By the way, I discover that the rate is now 4 GBP. I thought a ***** at 3 GBP but now it *****+.

My final suggestion: go for the Marriott and ask directly at the check in desk for a wake up call !