FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - CX 831 JFK - HKG Business Class
View Single Post
Old Sep 13, 2006, 6:06 pm
hkskyline

CX 831 JFK - HKG Business Class

CX 831 New York - Hong Kong
Business Class

Check-in
I arrived exactly 3 hours before departure to check-in, fearing increased security measures would cause significant delays at the airport. Check-in took about 20 minutes as only 2 lines were open for the Business and First Class passengers (it was way too early). With so much time left, I decided to tour the airport by Airtrain.

Takeoff
The plane took off eastbound into sunny skies.

North to the Pole!
The plane then turned north to cross the Long Island Sound on the way to the North Pole!

The snack was a delicious prawn and a choice of drink. I picked the non-alcoholic Cathay Delight, which is a kiwi-based drink that turned out pretty delicious.

Lunch
The appetizer consisted of two types of salad. It was a light start to the meal. I got quite full by the time I was done, forgetting the fact that the main course was coming.

Entertainment
After some fiddling around with the AVOD system and a few TV shows, it was time for the main course. I picked the beef dish.

Due to our northerly route, we actually didn't experience a sunset for the 15.5 hour flight. However, most people closed the blinds to get some rest after the meal.

Over Greenland
I've never flown the polar routes before, and it was quite weird that flying to Hong Kong would mean going east over Greenland, the North Pole, then back east again to Hong Kong.

Breakfast
Breakfast consisted of a fruit plate and I picked the abalone congee as a lighter snack. Without much exercise sitting in my seat, it was hard to eat any more.

The sun finally began to set as we approached southern China.

Concluding Remarks

The Business Class seat is quite comfortable. Even if I recline, the passenger behind me won't see anything since each seat is boxed in separately. There is a reading light and a water bottle holder which was stocked by the FAs early on the flight. Too bad it is not a lie-flat bed seat.

More photos on my website :
http://www.globalphotos.org/flightreports.htm