FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Buying/importing a car from the US into Canada
Old Sep 12, 2006, 6:36 am
CarNut

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Gold Elite
Originally Posted by Salisbury5
I didn't look into it. I assume that resale in Canada is not prohibited (on what basis could it possibly be prohibited???). I also assume that I would take a hit on the back end if I tried to re-sell it - but we always drive our cars until the bitter end (or close anyway). By way of example, I have never re-sold any of my used cars which I bought new for more than $4000 (before today, the record was $1000). I am therefore not too concerned.
Once again, I'm just repeating what I was told by someone who works in this area - I have been unable to verify the information despite repeat web searches and phone calls. As well, I only know about the Ontario market.

I believe that Ministry records would show that the car was originally built for the US market and a transfer of title to a third party would be prohibited without proof of US residency at the time of purchase (this obviously doesn't apply to registered dealers).