FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - And the Hysteria Spreads - MUC pax banned from plane because of bad joke and waterbtl
Old Sep 11, 2006, 2:53 pm
andyZRH

Programs: LX/M&M, UA, AA, AF/KL, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Jossijoe
Well i have never said any system is 100 percent foolproof, if they really want they can do it and hide everything on an old person. But come on so lets just cut all the screening bec. they can do it if they want to. We gotta stay realistic. Everyone has a right to fly even Bin ladins father. But by checking the bigger threats better we can lessen the chances and hopefully make it harder for them.
With all due respect, it seems you're still missing my point. Some superficial "profiling" based on looks, skin color, clothing, age, etc. just won't cut it! It's very likely that such a system would actually reduce the level of security we have now. If you want to improve security by profiling, you have to go all the way, El Al-style, as I have mentioned before.

Certainly, it can be done, El Al has been doing it for years, but it comes at a high cost. You need intelligent, educated, well-trained professionals who question and observe passengers in order to find out if something seems "wrong" and warrants further examination. Training costs and salaries won't be cheap, not to mention the opportunity costs of all the passengers who need to be at the airport much earlier than before.

Besides the fact that it would probably take years to implement such a system on a global scale, I strongly doubt that the actual risk warrants it.

Originally Posted by Jossijoe
Guys wake up People are trying to kill !!!
BTW, have you met TierFlyer yet? I'm sure you two guys would get along well!

Last edited by andyZRH; Sep 11, 2006 at 3:03 pm Reason: improved wording