FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Buying/importing a car from the US into Canada
Old Sep 11, 2006, 1:18 pm
Salisbury5

Programs: Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by TCoop
Salisbury5, congrats on the new car - very nice.

One question, how did you handle the plates in the US vs Canada?

I looked into this earlier this year, but haven't pulled the trigger yet. From what I could gather talking to Canadian Customs, and several others, was that you need a temp plate for each state you plan to travel in when driving the car back to Canada (and apparently each state has different in transit procedures). After crossing into Canada, you can then put your Canadian plate on while going though the registration process. It sounds like this was a non-issue for you, so I'm guessing the dealer gave you some type of temp or in-transit tag/paperwork?
Thanks.

The dealer in NH simply gave me a NH temporary permit good for 20 days. I was able to complete the licensing/safety requirements in under 20 days and so I simply replaced the NH temporary plate with the Ontario plate when I received it from the Licence Bureau (about 10 days after crossing the border into Canada). I believe Ontario would have given me another temporary plate had I needed one (and asked).

Note: You will need a permit of some kind to get insurance to drive the car up from the USA.