FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Voucher seat assignment
View Single Post
Old Sep 5, 2006, 6:58 pm
vysean

Programs: US2, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by GMUJD06
Is GoFirst worth the cost?
You might take a look at this thread - though it specifically addresses the GoEnvoy program (GoFirst for trans-Atlantic travel), many of the issues are the same.

With regards to your specific question, I usually find that the following helps me make my decision:
  1. How much will the upgrade cost?
  2. How much have I already paid for my seat?
  3. How long is the flight?
  4. How many stops/connections en-route?
  5. Are there First-class security lines in the airport(s)?
  6. Are the flights full or nearly-so?
  7. How busy is the airport likely to be?

Since you didn't pay anything for the ticket, an upgrade may be worth it. I would try and determine how full the flight is, how busy the airport is, and whether they have an F-only security line. If the flight is full, the airport is busy, and they have a priority security line, I would definitely consider the upgrade - $50-$200 may be worth it for the relative relaxation it provides. Of course, now your ticket isn't as "free" as it was.

As you may or may not have read, F on US is essentially a bigger seat, 2-abreast, and may or may not have food (but almost always drinks and snacks), and that's about it (having not recently flown any other carriers, I'm not sure what you aren't getting). On CLT-PHX you should get a meal (you won't in coach).

In any event, I did six segs this weekend in F and four of six were completely full, one had only 4 (myself included) out of 12 seats, and one was 6 for 12. Service was generally very attentive, and on the meal flight, the only option was shrimp lasagna. You would be advised to sit in the back of F on westbound flights and in the front on eastbound for priority meal choice.

Overhead space was always plentiful...

Good luck!

Sean