FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Free 8+ RR credits via Choice credit card
Old Sep 4, 2006, 5:38 am
toomanybooks
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
gregorygrady:

If it's "value out vs. dollars in," it would seem hard to beat a $40 Comfort Inn room under the current Choice promotion. I managed to snag this in Orlando, near Disneyworld, in a newly redecorated Inn right as the summer season was heating up (June 9-11), and was pretty surprised; presumably as the fall approaches, this will also be doable.

Two stays for $80 yields 8000 points (ignore sales tax). And if you pay with your Choice Privileges Visa, it's another 5 points per dollar, or 400 points. That's 8400 = 3.68 RR credits.

You say you value RR credits at $19.27 each (1.66 RR ~ $32). So that's $71 value from the Choice points for $80 expended.

And if you are trying to make progress toward a WN Companion Pass, which you otherwise would not reach, those points are a whole lot more valuable.

Say you normally accumulate 60 RR credits in a twelve-month period, with no hope of reaching 100 because you can't travel any more than you already do. Those credits aren't worth anything to you by comprising 60% of a putative CP.

But now, by getting the extra 40 RR credits, you receive a CP worth, pick your figure out of the air, maybe $2000 (a companion once a month @ $166 per RT flight).

Those marginal 40 RR credits have an extra value now of $50 each! And a tax-free $50, I assume (has anybody been taxed on the value of a CP?).

It all depends on your personal situation of course, but this seems a great promotion to me and I am starting right away.