FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Transferring at LHR [Merged threads]
View Single Post
Old Sep 3, 2006, 11:50 pm
UrbaneGent

Programs: *A Junkie, SQ PPS, Skywards Gold, 2 Million Mile Flyer;*wood LT Plat, BA MM
My "Hell" Going Through LHR

My Dear Fellow FTer's:

I've thought about you all so much these past two weeks - I've been in E. Africa and hadn't had access to a computer.

All my questions about going through LHR remained a mystery, now I have been enlightened with personal knowledge....

I'll make it quick:

ORD-LHR was a breeze. I had medication, nasal spray, etc. in my carry on, and no one asked a word.

LHR-FRA, I fast-tracked it and again, no issues.

FRA-ADD (LH) - No luggage. I had to endure ten days of my wife as LH made our lives hell. We left early and ended up purchasing a one way, full-fare C class on BA from Nairobi to LHR for an extra $5000.00 - has anyone EVER tried to find contact lens solution in Addis? The unused tickets can be used up to a year...we couldn't find space on SAA.

NBO-LHR: We went through security THREE times, twice at the entry of the gate of departure and then a few steps away, right before the doors of the airplane. My poor wife, the second screening (the first at the gate), opened everything up and let her keep her things. Steps away, the third screening, whatever small things she purchased to hold her over was taken away from her, including the contact lens solution. Had it not been for her putting a small bottle under her breast, she would have had big problems. This was even AFTER she put the solution in her eyes in front of the security guys.

LHR: Remember those "your hand luggage must fit in this" kiosks at the airports? It was metal and like a box? Well, Heathrow has now put WOOD inside of that and it is now much smaller. My BACKPACK did not fit into the space until I took out a date book (which was then became my second, small acceptable carry on).

Here they took any remaining liquids (and dignity) away. Including a bottle with 1/5 of liquid dial.

So, for those of you who are thinking of going through LHR...they are VERY strict about the size of your bags. Otherwise they won't let you through.

And as a fellow FTer mentioned, we had the entire second back of C class to ourselves...I got seven pillows to make a nice bed and sleep the time home.

UG

PS Still no bags