FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - When the US President comes to your hotel ...
Old Sep 3, 2006, 12:55 pm
amanuensis
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GUWonder
In major cities I often find there is one hotel better for hosting high-security guests and then there are not-so-great hotels for "meeting" such needs. However, for most guests, I suggest avoiding the hotels when someone's stay demands such security since it could well infringe upon enjoyment of the property at the same time as such a visitor.
According to the article, the regular guests were required to pass through metal detectors and were not allowed to park in the hotel's underground parking. Since nearly all of the Grand America's parking IS underground, that left me wondering where they did park.

... the president was not Grand America's only celebrated occupant last week. In addition to Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice and political strategist Karl Rove, the Grand America also hosted the Dave Matthews Band and headliners for a motivational seminar at the Delta Center, including retired basketball star John Stockton and former New York City Mayor Rudy Giuliani.
A golf tournament at Thanksgiving Point brought sports celebrities to the hotel last week, too, leading to an impromptu meeting between "Condi" and Johnny Miller, Jack Nicklaus and Annika Sorenstam on Monday.
Hotel staffers told Fery that Rice was pleasant and chatty while being served in her executive suite, which was outfitted with an elliptical trainer for her visit. Rice's only last-minute request was for Diet Pepsi with Lemon.
According to public relations manager Shannon Short, the biggest challenge of Bush's visit was ensuring that other guests, whether famous or not, received elite service despite sharing a hotel with the president of the United States.
"Not everyone knows what Five-Diamond service is," said Short, referring to [the hotel's] coveted designation from travel group AAA, "but they know if they don't get it."
Although guests could not use underground parking, and had to go through security checks in the lobby, Fery said no one became irate.