FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Multiple Bookings Destroying FT Spirit
View Single Post
Old Aug 31, 2006, 8:38 am
J0HN

I think the two things that are killing most of these "deals" is the entitlement beyond the initial booking and the quality/cost level of the hotels involved.

In true Flyertalk fashion (the following numbers are for demonstration purposes only), it is not enough to get a suite for $10, one must get the Presidential suite for $15. Someone sees a room for $5, but wait a club room is $7. The real killer for the "deal" though is you are not getting a room at the Amerisuites (valued at $50), but are reserving a room during peak season at a resort that normally goes for $350 (also keep in mind quality locations/properties will have more bookings). The sophistication on Flyertalk goes even further, website A is no longer booking the rate, but website B still is - some of these errors go on for days (and we all know to book a rate that allows for cancellation - after all we need flexibility).

In terms of sense of entitlement, people can book a room on priceline (La Quinta example), call up and get a copy of a confirmation that shows them booked into a suite, and are now expecting a "fight at check-in."

The main killer of the "deal" is that people are only concerned about their own specific situation. I was amazed to see how many people called the Conrad (several people actually admitted to it - the hold times must have been long), as the mantra was always "don't call." Now it seems, people call, talk to someone in customer service, and then report back on their own situation as fact for all - this in turn creates a situation in which the next person needs to call, gets a different answer, and then needs to report back that the situation has now been changed - the reality is that for these recent errors that run into large sums of money, customer service representative answers are typically worthless.

The best move this year in terms of pricing errors was done by Travelocity. Sure they alienated a strong traveling customer base (although I'm guessing most people were not previously booking through Travelocity unless it was the cheapest), but they succeeded in creating a situation in which no Flyertalker (I should say most) will go to their site to book a travel error.

I still do not see the diffirentiation between a Flyertalker booking one room and many in terms of a deal being honored. It really is a numbers game, and if you want a reservation to be honored find a property with a poor location and low cost, then "greed" won't be a factor.