FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - too large a luggage for a RJ?
View Single Post
Old Aug 30, 2006, 12:45 pm
SAT Lawyer
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum MM; DL Silver; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Hilton Gold; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by neuro0
Will go on a international trip soon that involve two segments on a prop plane, likely a DH-8 on delta, one inbound and one outbound. We mostly likely will have two pieces of large check-in baggage. Would it be wise to avoid prop so that my baggages will most likely travel with me?
I don't think that checking baggage on a turboprop presents any additional risks over checking baggage on a mainline jet, save for potential weight and balance issues that usually result in the offloading of passengers, not the luggage of passengers who actually wind up taking the flight.

However, if you want a little more peace of mind, see if you can downsize your luggage and take with you something that will fit in the overhead compartment of your mainline flight (and meet the applicable size and weight restrictions for carry-on luggage). On the turboprop flights, you can gate check that luggage, dropping it off and retrieving it planeside.