FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Idle Rumour: BA to nab 4 UAL 744s?
View Single Post
Old Aug 30, 2006, 9:42 am
G-BOAC
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA LTG + GGL, SPG LTP, HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador
Idle Rumour: BA to nab 4 UAL 744s?

OK, this is very much a "friend of friend" style bit of 'galley gossip' so take it with a huge, unconfirmed pinch of salt! However…

Rumour has it (well, this is fact!) that BA is short of longhaul equipment - so much so that LHR-YYC is looking difficult to operate right now before it even starts. In addition, the planned 777 replacement to SYD may not happen because (just as our own Panic Stations has said before) they don’t have the flight crews available. So apparently, BA has been looking at getting 4 of UAL’s 744s second hand to ease some of the burden until the new 777 options come in 2008. UAL have several 744s in the desert and I was told their 744s are due a D check very soon anyway so it could add up – i.e. they need an overhaul anyway, so they could be sold to BA who then refit them with a decent cabin, etc.

One issue is that only BA/CX/QF (I believe) use RRs on their 744s and UA have P&Ws (sorry, I know this is very kiddiesspeculateonplaneliveries.net!) so there’s a maintenance PITA if this is true.

What do people think? Perhaps Panic Stations can be tempted to comment?