FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - OK to book handicapped accessible room if able-bodied? Elite upgrades?
Old Aug 30, 2006, 8:44 am
pinniped
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by avidflyer
The "right thing" refers to your refusal to give the room up to someone who needed it even after an upgrade at the same price was offered. I was pointing out that no matter what YOU did (or did not) do, the result would be exactly the same because the property will not let those rooms go un-occupied.
Agreed - that's the key here, and really what GimpysRevenge is talking about: we all know that people use the accessible facilities when they don't need them. In the hotel case, it's sometimes because the hotel leaves us no other choice because of either how they price the rooms or how they assign them. The question is are you willing to give it up for someone who really needs it? If your own personal answer is "yes, I would switch to a regular room if someone needed the accessible room", then I don't see any ethical problem with booking the "last room at the inn" when it is the accessible room type.