FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Florida in end October?
View Single Post
Old Aug 29, 2006, 4:52 pm
robyng
In memoriam

Originally Posted by Desirees
I want to take the kids to Florida during Thanksgiving, a beach somewhere, and thought St Augustine would be good...however I cannot find info anywhere for how the weather would be like. I am thinking of renting a beach house but do you think the weather will be usually too cold for being on the beach? If so, can anyone recommend any other beach. We live in Raleigh,NC and want to go somewhere within 10 hrs of driving...want to avoid flying with two small kids during Thanksgiving.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks,

D.
I live about 30 minutes north of St. Augustine. Thanksgiving is "iffy" in terms of beach weather (but ideal for golf). Sometimes it's in the 70's or 80's - but it was a lot colder 2 years ago (I had dinner for 20 on my patio - and it was definitely sweater weather or worse after the sun went down!). On the other hand - pools in most nice places would be heated. To get dependable beach weather in late November - you have to go further south - 100 to 200 miles. Which means more time on I-95 (see below).

On the third hand - we used to travel to Southern Pines before my inlaws died. Thanksgiving Sunday on I-95 was the pits. On the fourth hand - if you can go home on Monday - as opposed to Sunday - you'll probably be ok.

Note that I really hate traveling on Thanksgiving - whether by plane or car. Perhaps it would just be better to find a resort like Pinehurst or the like - closer to home - which has a heated (perhaps indoor) pool. I'm not sure kids like the beach better than pools.

One place to look at in this area is the Ritz Carlton at Amelia Island (about an hour north of us - closer to you). I know there's an indoor pool there - a kid's program - and a beach too if the weather is cooperative. It's had a big renovation going on for about a year - and I'm pretty sure it will be finished by the fall. There is a big Thanksgiving dinner - a Christmas tree lighting - all the kinds of things kids would tend to like. Robyn