FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Government Rate and Teachers
View Single Post
Old Aug 27, 2006, 12:52 pm
Copilot23

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond,
The hotel I stay at most frequently is near a state capital. The CSRs have recently been requested to photocopy the government ID and if you are staying on a weekend, show proof you are conducting official business on the weekend (i.e. document from supervisor.) NO picture ID and/or no document indicating official business = no room. The CSR's have been apolgetic about the new policy but, I appreciate it. This hotel is extremely close to where I conduct some of my work and it is frustrating when I have to stay on the outskirts of the city because all of the government rate available rooms have been absconded by those who have no business using the government rate. While others might be able to expense their room rate, no matter the charge, my employer mandates a cap on room and tax. If my regular hotel can't match the rate, I must find one that can or personally eat the extra expense (which I've done on a few occasions when no gov't rate was offered, I really needed the room and there were no other reasonable options.) And for what it is worth, when I travel on personal business, I don't reserve a room in advance using the government rate. It is just a personal ethics issue with me.