FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - SC Run help
Thread: SC Run help
View Single Post
Old Aug 25, 2006, 6:52 pm
LHR/MEL/Europe FF
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by abcedaria
Hopefully the brains trust out there can help me with a quandry I've been givien.

I know someone who wants to do a status credit run to get ~400 SC. They want to do it as quickly as possible, with as little time away as possible. They have no problems with flying around the world, and this was currently is their plan. They believe they can get a round the world fare with enough sc's for around $4k. My suggestion was to fly jetstar star class a couple times and get the business class bonuses. It came to under $4k, and there would have been no lay overs. However there was only 85 minutes between landing and the return flight (i think it was BKK or phuket, i forget), and jetstar refused to allow the flights in the end.

Does anyone have some suggestions on a good way to work this one out?

Thank you!

I'm sure i've left out valuable information, so please ask if you wonder. Oh, they live in Sydney, so sydney or melbourne would be the start off.
Couple of options as I can see:

(1) if doing the MEL-BKK thing on Jetstar, the beauty of the system is that you can book one-way flights. So while it will not let you book a return (says minimum connecting time is 90 mins and the aircraft is only on the ground for 80 mins), you could book two one ways... I would enter in the FF number for one segment only, then add the FF number for the return once at BKK. If they are travelling with hand baggage only, then it depends on whether they can get the return boarding pass without having to clear immigration? I got a return fare in SatrClass for AUD1971 (but does this earn enough SCs??)

(2) they could do a SYD-HNL in discount Y on QF. Then from HNL, take an AA YUP fare out of HNL. We did this earlier this year for AUD1700 all up (for the YUP) - total SCs netted was over 800 ex SYD. PM me for some good routes and deals nthe YUPS if you need them. Total cost AUD2900. The connection ex HNL is a 4 hour wait (use QC there however). on the way back you will need to overnight. Time away 4 days.

Regards

L/M/E FF