FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Buying/importing a car from the US into Canada
Old Aug 25, 2006, 10:50 am
Salisbury5

Programs: Marriott Ambassador
An Update

I am posting to update you all on the situation.

I reached an agreement with a dealer in New Hampshire last week. I sent a certified cheque and title transferred two days ago. The dealer couriered to me the title document which I signed and then drove down to US Customs near Cornwall, ON. Note that the rules have changed - you now have to present the original title document to US Customs. Faxes won't do. You can either hire a broker and send it to them to present to US customs or you can drive it down yourself.

I called 3 US ports of entry - and 2 of them (Champlain, NY and Highgate Springs, VT) will only accept the document (and the car when you drive up 72 hours later not including weekends and holidays) M-F 8-4.

Massena, NY near Cornwall (closest to me anyway) accepts it anytime and will let you cross anytime. But I would call to confirm (phone numbers on the web).

I stopped in at Canadian customs to inquire as to the process when I bring the car across the border. Basically, its two forms to complete and a credit card for the duty and GST.

I called my insurance company and they will need copies of all pertinent documents in order to add the car to my insurance. They will automatically cover me for 14 days from date of delivery provided I advise them of the VIN.

I pick up the car next weekend (turning it into a family trip). Will keep you advised.