FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Koh Samui, Thailand
Old Aug 25, 2006, 1:19 am
lkm098

Originally Posted by VC10 Boy
Has anyone stayed at the Koh Samui Rennaisance? We have booked a pool villa and from the website it looks really nice.

If anyone has some practical tips or suggestions as to where to dine, and things to do it would be much appreciated. Also, if anyone has stayed in one of these villas, are some in a better location than others and if so, which room numbers should we request.

Cheers in anticipation.

I came back from the Koh Samui Renaissance one week ago. I agree that the website looks nice, though not all photos are 100% true (at least during different parts of the day). The first and most important is the beach. It is impossible to swim during low tide (there is not water at all, only rocks). We had to take taxis and go to Chaweng beach (20 minutes ride, 300 THB-8 USD) to swim.

I have stayed in a deluxe room. The rooms are located in a building at the back of the hotel. Room is ok, with a Jacuzzi. There are two pools, one near the building with deluxe rooms (simple, 50 m long); second (as on photos) near villas and beach.

You might be a bit surprised by food selection (only 2 restaurants). Food is ok, though not that great. Actually, I liked the most the room service :-). Breakfast is good. I had dinner maybe twice in the hotel and during other days I went outside (to Chaweng beach) for meals. Excellent sea food: (lobster - 1500 THB per kilo (40 USD)).

What I hated the most in the hotel are the walls. You have walls everywhere. The whole territory is divided into plots for villas, and all villas are separated by huge walls. I did not like to walk on the territory of the hotel at all.

I have a gold card in Marriott. For that I have received only free breakfast. No upgrades. Maybe because I have stayed for points during the whole period. The cost of the deluxe room was 200 USD. I am very sorry for people who are cashing out so much money per room/per night in that hotel. It is not worth it.

I have walked the whole Chaweng beach, and I liked it much more. There are some good hotels over there: like Central Samui. Plus, you have a variety of restaurants nearby, if you are tired of hotel food.

Overall, Renaissance Koh Samui hotel is pretty average. Far, far away from the quality and service of Marriott Resort and Spa in Bangkok, where I have stayed before.