FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Does It Feel Weird to Be Called by Your FlyerTalk Name in Person?
Old Aug 20, 2006, 3:07 pm
Lehava
In memoriam

Programs: SWA A list preferred and CP, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Hertz President's club
Dear Cantalope *snicker*, you are way too tense on this topic (as we discussed when I met you and Mrs. Cantalier and Jr. Canarooster for dinner!!! *smile*)

Always, Lehava (and see mine doesnt bother me because it is my hebrew name so I am used to hearing it spoken)

Originally Posted by Canarsie
Whenever I post on FlyerTalk, I prefer to keep my given name private and be addressed as Canarsie — although FlyerTalk members refer to me by a slew of other choice and less-than-flattering names in The Delta Forum Lounge Thread — Everybody is Welcome! thread, but I won’t get into specifics here as that is wa-a-a-a-ay off topic...

However, whenever I meet FlyerTalk members in person — and I have done so for greater than two years now — I do not usually respond to the name Canarsie, as I am not used to hearing people call me that. This is especially true when the pronunciation of Canarsie is mangled: “Hey, Canarise!” or “Good to meet you, Carnarsie!”

Instead, I insist that I please be addressed by my given first name, as I believe should be done once people meet in person. Sometimes I have to remind people several times to please do so.

None of this bothers me in any respect. I simply have still not gotten used to being called Canarsie in person.

What are your thoughts and experiences on this topic?

By the way, I would not be surprised to find “I never seem to encounter that problem” posted by FlyerTalk members whose names are the same or similar on both FlyerTalk and in person...