FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Golden Circle--Shangri-la Hotels
View Single Post
Old Aug 19, 2006, 11:19 am
747LWW

Originally Posted by jhm
I'm writing this from the Shangri-La in Shanghai. I was offered at check-in today the option of a paid upgrade to an Executive Suite (which would normally cost double of what I would be paying together with the upgrade amount). As well as the room upgrade "to a nicer room", I would also get Horizon Club access (the usual free breakfast, afternoon tea etc), free in-room broadband Intenet and late checkout up to 6pm. It sounded like a good deal so I accepted.

However, what I didn't realise was that a "nicer" room actually referred to a suite (a bedroom, living room, guest toilet and bathroom/toilet; butler service; and the usual plasma TVs and other amenities in the various rooms) on the 30th floor of the new tower 2 with what is simply an amazing and gobsmacking view over the Bund and the Huangpu River and directly opposite the Oriental Pearl Tower. The living room has floor to ceiling high windows on two sides and the hotel thoughtfully provides a pair of binoculars together with a guide to what you can see on the skylne. The bedroom has a window with a view in another direction and so does the bathroom (with the bathtub positioned right next to the floor to ceiling window - one way I was assured! - so that you can watch TV or look at the view depending on which way you're looking).

The hotel also seems to go beyond the usual Golden Circle benefits, e.g. as well as the free broadband and late checkout mentioned above, a selection of chocolates were delivered with my fruit basket.

The only caveat to all of this is the hotel's location east of the Huangpu River in the business district of Pudong rather than west where most of the tourist areas are. If you're okay with that (which I am given I've been to Shanghai before and in any event, am happy using taxis and public transport), then I don't think anyone would be disappointed if offered an upgrade to an Executive Suite in tower 2. The hotel specifically mentioned that this was due to being a member of Golden Circle (thank you 747LWW for encouraging me to join earlier this week! ) and it is listed as a benefit for classic members. It's certainly a very powerful incentive to encourage me to continue to stay at the Shangri-La for any future trips to Shanghai and to ensure my loyalty to Shangri-La by building up status with Golden Circle.
jhm:

First, what a great description of the hotel and your observations thereof. I am confident that other readers of this thread will be quite interested in your experience!

Second, I am delighted you received such wonderful treatment! My congratulations to the Management and Staff of the Shangri-la Shanghai for impressing you as I know you are quite widely "traveled", stay in a variety of quality hotels, and are a very discerning guest.

Basis your report, I now look even more forward to visiting the Shangri-la Shanghai later this year.

Best regards and continued happy travels,

747LWW