FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Tips for visiting Iguazu falls from my recent trip
Old Aug 18, 2006, 3:34 pm
trd

Programs: DL Platinum; Hyatt Diamond
[QUOTE=LAXGUY]
Originally Posted by rustyr

If anyone has any on-the-ground reports about whether one still is able to cross from the Argentine side to the Brazilian side of the falls without a visa, please post.
I can attest that last month any taxi driver could take you over and back, no problem. This is long-standing policy in the region, as borne out by numerous posts on the FT South America Forum.
I am not going to give a straight answer -- because of your post I asked the question at the local transportation desk at the Sheraton. I was told that you did need one, but if you didn't have one it would be arranged within a day $100. Then I crossed the border (and back) this morning (I already had a visa) -- we stopped for exiting on the Argentina side, but stopped only to "wipe shoes" on the Brazilian side, no one looked at my passport. On the way out of Brazil today I did stop to have my passport stamped as I am returning to Brazil next week. BUT yesterday on the way out of Brazil (I flew into the Brazilian airport but am staying in Argentina) we breezed right through with a mere glance at the passport. So my quess is that it can be done, but policy is that it shouldn't be done.

Also to answer my own previous questions for future readers. The set taxi fare from IGU to the Sheraton in Argentina is $R80 (about $38) -- very easy to do at the transportation desk at airport. The falls are indeed VERY dry -- the devil's throat however is still going strong -- from previous pictures I am seen most of the secondary falls are mere trickles. I certainly can see what I am missing, but still quite impressive -- just makes me want to come back again when in full force. The Sheraton is a pefectly respectable 3* hotel -- rooms are small but very adequate (nice linens), the included breakfast was not quite up to the level of the Grand Hyatt Sao Paulo's regency club continental breakfast (but there are scambled eggs & bacon). Dinner was fine tho a bit expensive for the atmosphere. Agree with other comments: 3 hours on Brazilian side; 1 1/2 days on Argentina side (less if you can't do steps). This unfit 59 year old put on over 5 miles on today and am pooped -- but won't have it any other way. The 3.5 mile nature trail is fairly level and tho I didn't see any tucans I did see 20 or so monkeys, hummingbirds, large rodents, many other birds -- nice view from end of trail -- if you want to go another 500 meters (down and then back up) you can go down the cliff to the bottom of the falls - I declined.