FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Consolidated "Road to Hana" thread
View Single Post
Old Aug 14, 2006, 10:57 am
l etoile
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by deejboram
Wow!

Thanks for all the info. We're only going to be on Maui for 6 days (5 nights) so, thus far I've talked my partner to spending at least 2 nights in Hana at the Hana Treehouse ( http://www.hanatreehouse.com/ ). She really likes "rustic" but some of the rustic treehouse places were charging similar amounts for a LOT less than what we'll get here.

BriGuy,

You have any rec's for a cool place to stay on the "backside" of the mountain? As you can see, we're trying to spend as much time away from the "glit & glamour" as possible.

Danke,

DJ.
By all means, stay in that area for at least a couple of nights. Are you talking about the Treehouses of Hana? I would recommend against staying there as they have been periodically shut down for code violations. (He is finally rebuilding them in hopes of reopening soon, but I don't know how that's going.) I know the person who built them and they were his first project done on a shoestring. He even admits they're not great. His later projects in China are far better. I will send you some ideas of places to stay later today. A huge benefit to staying in the area is you can get to places such as O'heo Gulch before all the folks from Wailea and Kaanapali arrive. I've been at the pools by 8 or 9 a.m. and had them completely to myself. By noon they're packed.