FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - MSP TSA Goons
Thread: MSP TSA Goons
View Single Post
Old Aug 14, 2006, 9:39 am
ocean2731

Programs: WorldPerks, HHonors
People Magazine

Originally Posted by wentona777
Maybe I'm wrong, but unless this passenger was really identified as a potential threat, doesn't this seem like overkill -- following a passenger all the way to the gate and waiting around for him to board just so they could grab his soda?
About a year ago, I was going through security at DTW McNamara Terminal with my mother, who is 80 and an infrequent flier. My sister had given Mom a copy of People magazine to read on the short flight to BWI. Don't ask me why, but Mom had the magazine tucked under her arm as she went through the metal detector in front of me. I think she must have forgotten she had it. As she stopped to wait for the conveyor belt coming out of the x-ray, she whipped the magazine out from under her arm. Holy guacamole! You should have seen the TSA people leap out of their skins and rush toward Mom. They started to close off the entrance, but stopped when someone came to their senses. A grey haired lady holding a trashy magazine isn't much of a threat. Mom got an extensive lecture, as you might have guessed.

I have been in the security area of ANC several times now when people have tried to bring those ulu knives (Native Alaskan cutting implements often purchased as souveniers). I'm getting to where I know what's coming by the semi-quiet comments the TSA guys will make while looking at the monitor. At that point, I just pray that I can walk calmly beyond the state troopers before they decide to shut the security area down. If not, you're stuck for a while, all because someone didn't have the sense to pack the darn ulu in their checked luggage.