FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - How can we be helpful to newbies?
View Single Post
Old Aug 12, 2006, 8:43 pm
techgirl
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Earned status with AA, DL, SPG, HH, Hyatt, Marriott, Seabourn, NCL, National, Hertz...I miss my bed!
Just as a general comment as one of the five AA mods. We DO appreciate and listen to the feedback here. There have been some good points made both here and in the Only Randy Petersen thread.

I'll let Randy address the comments to him in his thread when he returns from vacation this week. You were not able to post there as the senior moderators for FT closed that thread after it exceeded several pages as they felt the relevant points to Randy had been made. I know he often does several hours of research on an issue before commenting and I've already sent him a direct to this thread as well.

As far as what the mods ARE doing. We ARE working on a FAQ for this forum. It will take time to get together so do bear with us. One of our team has volunteered to work on that and I know he has also talked to a few AA regulars about helping get content that is relevant to that. (It WILL take some time - we all have regular paid full-time jobs in addition to volunteering on FT and as well, FT *has* been a lot busier than normal this week!)

We are also continuing to follow the Guidelines and Rules for FT which is the governing document for all FT moderators in all forums. While each forum has its own posting style, we are tasked with trying to apply a relatively consistent standard across all forums - but more important, to develop a consistent standard (*within* these guidelines) for the AA forum. The five of us have been working together to do that so that might explain a sense of additional moderator presence lately as we work to make this consistent across AA.

I hope that answers a couple of questions that have come up. While its off-topic/against the Guidelines to discuss specific moderation actions (which can include member suspensions regardless of whether or not they occur in the AA forum), I think some transparency is important and I'm always happy to answer general questions about why/how we do what we do. Ultimately our goal is to make the AA forum a smooth and consistent place for posters of ALL experience levels to post. While the forum cannot be all things to all people, we'll continue to do what we need to do to make it useful to the majority.