FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Two zone sleeper award...Props to Amtrak!
Old Aug 7, 2006, 8:40 am
the_traveler

Programs: Peon in all
Originally Posted by dougdd
I'm not sure how this works. Can someone explain to me the routing/ connection problem in NOL?

I'm in Florida and would like to travel to the West Coast using a 2-zone roomette. You can email me offline as well.

Thanks.
The connection problem using NOL is that the southbound Crescent arrives in NOL in the evening and the westbound SL departs in the morning - thus the valid connnection for those departing from (say) Birmingham is via Washington (Zone 3)! Or the otherway, the eastbound SL arrives in the evening and the Crescent departs in the morning.

Since you live in FL, the only way that this could work is if you board in Pensacola. But there are 2 problems with that - #1) the SL is discontinued temporarily east of NOL, and #2) if the SL were operating, it would run through NOL, so there would be no connection to make!

As it is now, if you were to depart from JAX or ORL, it would be a straight 3 zone award. The only way you may get a 2 zone award to the west (via Washington) is to travel and start possibly in ATL, ATN or BHM.