FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - How can we be helpful to newbies?
View Single Post
Old Aug 5, 2006, 5:18 pm
ORDflyer

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond
Maybe the real regulars need their own board

I have been on this board for years and until I decided to manufacture about 50 posts just to see what was in OMNI, I have been posting as rarely as I could and reading extensively every day. What puzzles me is that some members seem to equate post count with wisdom. Now maybe some have the ablity to devote their lives to posting pithy informative responses or incisive questions, but if the post count is in the thousands, that is one post a day for a number of years. Who has that much to say? Really!
In my years on FT I have had only one seriously informative post, when I was the first to post on the United board a few years ago that they were giving away 1K based on revenue. I will confess that many of the rest have been less than useful.
I think the real issue is that some see this is a club of buddies or a community, and others see this place as just a way to get basic information. It is hard for a free public board to fulfil the community function. I am on several boards on a favorite topic that have a membership committee and a nominating process. Maybe some of the most interested AA FT'ers should just explore going off on their own. They would be happier in the long run I bet.