FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - PMU Waitlisted - 777 with 45+ BE Seats Free
Old Feb 26, 2004, 2:11 pm
indufan
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by PMMMColonel:
Your comments seem to assumes that DL is the only east coast option. This is not the case. In fact I do not see the value of overpaying DL when you can get more options in NY/NJ, ORD, DFW etc. In fact I think DL is the only major with only 1 Asian flight total.</font>
No, actually, it doesn't assume that though I admit I tried to make it simple. The yield management system will make sure a plane destined for NRT from ATL will not leave at 20%. Also, we shouldn't assume that a 2nd flight daily could or should have to leave from ATL. CVG, LAX, SFO, are other options. I am sure PDX would like to have it back too. I know elevation is a factor, could it happen from SLC?

Anyway, more supply, generally and all other things being equal, puts a downward trend on pricing. In the LAX example...how about if all of the airlines were limited to one flight per day per hub to LAX. Now, this is an extreme example but could you imagine what would happen to the price?