FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Booking a train ticket out of Xian in advance
Old Aug 2, 2006, 7:14 am
AandT

Programs: UA, DL
Originally Posted by iahphx
Peter's comments that Americans have a needless "obsession" with booking Chinese arrangements in advance no doubt has an element of truth. But, at the same time, there seem to be numerous reports of folks having some difficulty buying the tickets they need only a day or two in advance. As most Americans (and other foreign tourists) are typically "on the go" in China -- trying to see as much of vast China on a limited time schedule -- a little advanced planning, if it's possible, seems like a decent idea.
I agree with Peter's statement about American's obsession with booking in advance and that it does not work that way in China. Most people just can't imagine that you can actually get around by booking things like planes and trains 1 or 2 days in advance, that just goes against everything that we are used to in normal travels. That being said I also agree that the train system should be more standardized and more toursist friendly. Too bad there isn't much we can do about it! There has to be ways to book tickets in advance because I have had times trying to book tickets in advance because I have had occasions of trying to book a ticket first thing on a day when the train just went on sale, and found it practically full with local officials on their way to or from some big meeting. Not that anyone could ever get the same kind of "official perks" I know there are some agencies who have some extra special "guanxi" (Chinese for favor through relationship) that seem to be able to find a ticket even when everyone else says there are none. Just the way things work, there is always a way it seems you just have to know the right people/person...