FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Consolidated "Scotch - Best & Worst, recommendations, questions" thread
Old Jul 30, 2006, 8:38 pm
number_6
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Quite a range of whiskies on this thread, and with prices from USD 10 to USD 300 per bottle, the results vary as you might expect.

For cheap (under USD 30) I prefer Bowmore and Balvenie as they represent the 2 extremes of Scotch style. Bowmore is of course salty, smokey and deep while Balvenie is sweet, simple and charming (almost like a bourbon by contrast). Both quite good and dependable.

For special occasions (under USD 500), there is no contest in my mind, the Glenmorangie 1975. Completely different from "normal" Glenmorangie bottlings and with an amazing explosion of aromatics when adding a drop of water to it. No idea why this is the case (or why it is so much better than the Glenmorange 1976, for example, for that matter).

Some of the cask aged scotch is very successful, including the Glenmorangie Cotes de Beaune (but that seems to no longer be made) while others are less successful (like the Glenmorange sherry cask alluded to earlier).

Now for FT content: BA serves JW Blue and a single malt 15 yo in their F lounges and also on board (in F). I think the single malt is Glenlivet 15. They used to serve Glenlivet 18 yo but I haven't seen that in about a year. For some reason most airlines pick JW Gold or Blue as their luxury scotch, I suppose the brand recognition drives that.