FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - KL Fleet News
Thread: KL Fleet News
View Single Post
Old Jul 30, 2006, 3:49 am
jetfan

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M, BA Executive Club, Sofitel Plat, Priority Club, Starwood Preferred Guest
Originally Posted by HB-IWC
I got a confirmation now that PH-BFH has indeed been changed to a full pax layout, but still with old C-class, and has been flying as such for the past month and a half. Meanwhile, PH-BFB, another full pax B744, has been undergoing a D-check and will be the first B744 to come online with the new C-class installed. Roll out date is around August 15, and we should see the first B744 with new C-class on all full pax routes, i.e. YYZ, JFK, CUR, SXM, PBM, JNB, KUL, CGK, NRT. The retrofit of all B74E/B744 is not expected to be completed until the end of 2008!

Also in August, a fifth A332, registered PH-AOE will be joining the active fleet, and KL681/682 will subsequently be operated with the A332 iso the MD11, as the first MD11 will go into the hangar for retrofit around the same time.
I heard that they are allocating a separate hangar to the MD-11 retrofit and in fact that the effective MD-11 deployment is well under 9 frames for the entire season.
Could that be an indication of a major retro-fit including AVOD in Y-class?
Ripping out the 31 C-clss seats, replacing them 24 new ones and installing only LCD overhead monitors in Y for the 10 aircraft surely cannot take a full season?
Let's hope Y will be upgraded!

It will also be interesting indeed if PH-BFB is fitted with the Slippery Slope Seats or a new seat.
And if SSS, if they are then willing to fit other 747's with better seats when they have made up/changed their mind?
(Resulting in a situation with different seats within the same aircraft type).