FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - My Experience: American Airlines versus Continental
Old Jul 29, 2006, 7:55 pm
rkkwan
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
American has older average fleet age than NW. 13.3yr is higher than any major US airline except Aloha.

www.airsafe.com/events/airlines/fleetage.htm

AA's European strategy seems to be just the opposite of CO. They fly lots of flights to LHR and little else. I guess it may be a "victim" of its LHR success. In Asia, they tried pretty hard to build up a significant NRT presence, so I admire them for that. And it got ORD-PVG recently and is competing with CO for the next China route. I think CO's EWR-PVG bid is much stronger than AA's DFW-PEK, but at least they seem to be trying. They also started ORD-DEL non-stop about the same time as CO's EWR-DEL.

However, I still cannot understand why they do not start ORD-HKG. CX is their stronger partner in Asia, but both CX and AA has decided to ignore the ORD-HKG connection, which UA has upped it to 10/week. ORD-HKG is virtually identical to CO's EWR-HKG in flight time, and should be within range of their 772.