FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - OneWorld Explorer Fare Update 01JUL06
View Single Post
Old Jul 29, 2006, 12:27 pm
DrBillAtwood

Programs: AA ExP 5MM, DL Lifetime Medallion 2.3MM
Fares and locations

Originally Posted by tokatya
OK.... I could be wrong on this but how does it matter if a travel agent is phisically in Sofia (SOF) or anywhere else? Shouldn't pricing be somewhat similar regardless of the location of the travel agent that books it. Is there something here that I am missing?
Actually, you have been missing one of the great anomalies of internatinoal flying. Up until July 1, 2006 the fares were RADICALLY different depending on:
1. Where the ticket originates and,
2. Where it is purchased.

Prices on an AONE4 (around the world four continent first class ticket on the One World Alliance) varried from $6000 to over $12,000 depending on the origination (which also had to be the termination popint). I was saving a lot because I go to Nairobi a lot even though I live in the US. I flew one way to Nairobi several years ago and have been buying six or eight around the world tickets each year since then with layovers in the US (also Hong Kong, Australia, or Europe). The price for the ticket I use went from $6400 to $9400 from June 30th to July first. That's why I'm ticked.