FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AA Flt. 1134 (LAX/LHR) Loses Engine, Diverts to JFK
Old Jul 26, 2006, 9:29 am
Blumie
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Keep in mind that this was not an emergency in the sense that the aircraft was in immediate peril. No fire. No smoke. The aircraft flies perfectly well on one engine. I have no doubt, as AEpilot76 has indicated, that the pilots in that plane were not playing with the safety of their passengers. And correct me if I'm wrong, AEpilot76, but it's not that uncommon for an aircraft to lose power in an engine. It happened to me once on takeoff on a BOS-LGA flight, and the pilot came on the air right away basically to say "no big whoop" but we'll be returning to BOS right away. We were chased down the runway by the emergency equipment, but other than that it certainly did seem like it was no big whoop.

BTW, I don't know if it was their intention to be hyperbolic, but the headline "Jetliner Loses Engine" (as opposed to the first sentence which reports that a jetliner lost power in one of its engines) makes it sound like an engine fell off the plane, which I have to imagine is a much bigger deal than just losing power.

Last edited by Blumie; Jul 26, 2006 at 12:30 pm