FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Being a Tucson Tourist
View Single Post
Old Jul 16, 2006, 7:49 pm
dhammer53
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Restaurants

I did some reserach on www.zagat.com and gayot.

Cafe Poca Cosa
520-622-6400
They just moved, so call. Downtown location.

Food Decor Service Cost

26 21 22 $28

Review
“Bring an open mind and empty stomach” to Suzana Davila’s “colorful”, “funky” and sometimes “frantically” paced Downtown “must-visit” Mexican (No. 1 for Popularity in Tucson) where Oaxacan masks and bright walls complement the “exciting” food that blends the “homestyle” with the “innovative”; the daily-changing, chalkboard menu showcasing a slew of “interesting moles” helps make a meal here “magical.”

This place serves drinks, entrees, and deserts. When I asked about appetisers the waitress said that the entree had so much food, that an appy was not necessary.

Entrees high teens through low $20's. I've had Mexican food in SoCal and Texas. But this place was the real thing (as mentioned above). We would have returned a second night, but wanted to try this place...

Barrio

135 S. Sixth Ave.
(Broadway Blvd.)
Tucson, AZ 85701
520-629-0191
www.barriofoodanddrink.com

Food Decor Service Cost

23 22 23 $31

Review
For “creative” Southwestern cooking, this “funky” Downtown “storefront” upstages others by offering an array of “imaginative small plates” and larger-portioned fare to pre- and post-theater patrons; if the “cool vibe contributes to mellow service” sometimes, consider that many maintain this “hipster hot spot” “succeeds.”

This looks like a traditional yuppie watering hole with good food.

First place goes to Cafe Poca Cosa.