FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Being a Tucson Tourist
View Single Post
Old Jul 16, 2006, 7:29 pm
dhammer53
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Originally Posted by JerryFF

1 - Tombstone (about a 90 minute drive)
2 - Sonoran Desert Museum
3 - Old Tucson movie set
4 - Suguaro Natl Park (east or west)
Guess who just got back.

We departed from the Sheraton on Grant Ave for Tombstone. It's a nice easy ride. You'll exit the interstate for the last few miles. Just before you get to town, you'll see a sign for Boothill Cemetery on the left. It's a 10 minute diversion that's worth the suggested $2 donation.

As you depart Boothill, pass the Wyatt Earp house. @:-)
'Downtown' is just a few blocks straight ahead, then make a right.
I have to say Tombstone is kitschy, but you still have to 'do it'.

It's a very small town. The main street is covered in dirt to make it look like 1888. Gunslingers from the various shoot-out shows are walking around. Sort of lends some authenticity to the place. We were told you could go to any of the shoot-outs. We of course chose the Gunfight at the O-K Corral.
The show starts at 2:00pm. Lasts for 30 minutes. Lots of laughs. Cost was $5.50 for the shoot-out, or $7.50 is you view the 20 minute ...-o-rama type of show narrated by Vincent price. It's worth it just for the background info. If he said Tombstone, the town to tough to die one more time, I was going to pull the plug.

We had lunch across the street and down the block at a old west type saloon. You can't miss it. Good food and cheap.

We arrived at 11:30 and were gone by 3:00.

From Tombstone, we thought about heading to Nogales AZ/Mexico, a border town. After talking to a few people in Tucson, we decided to continue east for 25 miles (in 20 minutes) to Bisbee AZ.

Bisbee is a small cute, artisty type of town. There is an old gold mine there available for touring. Since we did a mine in CO a few years back, we decided to walk the main street (only one) and shop. We did some damage buying Mexican accessories at very low prices. If I was driving back to New York, we could of loaded up the car. There are a few restaurants and bars to help spend the time. We departed at 6:00 and headed back to Tucson for dinner.

The next morning, we thought about Nogales, but decided to go to Tubac AZ instead. It's about 35 minutes south of Tucson.

At first the town looked like a shopping center, with multiple blocks. Then, I realized that was the town. Very low key town with lots of shops. Drive a few blocks 'out of town' for a few more stores.

At one store that was closed on a Sunday (slow season in summer), they had a sign posted on the door. It said please leave a check, or cash, and leave it in the mailbox. Many of the pottery type of items were left outside. This would never make it in New York.

From Tubac, we headed north to the Sonoran Desert Museum. I think it cost $9 off-season, and $12 in season. Spent about 75 minutes there. Bring water. It's hot in the summer. Since time was running short, and since we saw some Suguaro's, we drove back to Phoenix.