FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Minyan-finding: YVR, LHR, Italy
View Single Post
Old Jul 13, 2006, 6:24 am
mordey

Programs: Qanats, Continental, KLM
I have a freind that was traveling from JFK to LHR and needed a minyan for maariv, he asked the flight atendants that he needed a place to pray, he would need 3 people, and it would take just over three minutes. So they allowed him to use the galley.
When the minyan ended, the flight antendant told him, you told me there would be three people, but ther ewere 10, and you told me that it would take 3 minutes, but it actualy took 15.
So he answered, he asked three people to come, but all the other jews on the plane wanted to join in. So the bigger the crowd, the longer it takes.

Now i would like ot aske a question of my own.
How does one daven shacharis on the plane?
I have made the trip LHR-SYD a number of times, and you take of London at night, and you arrive in singapore the next night, so you have no choice, but daven on the plane.
When i asked the stewerdess, if i could use thet galley for 15 minutes to pray, they said i could not, but when i got up to go to the back of the plane, with my teffilin, i was told i would not be able to stand, but sit down.
I did just that, but i felt rather weired, sitting for Shmoneh Esrei, and i had this guy looking at me,like i had fell from mars, or something.

The next question is, when od you know when you have to daven mincha, like in the above situation, but you dont have the current time, or you are not sure if it is past Mincha Gedolah yet.

By the way, i was in Milan Airport on my way to Eretz Yisroel, we had a minyan (about 50 people all together), for Maariv, it was the most beautiful site, i had een in my whole life (before i had the oportunity to go to the Kosel), to see, Chassidim, Misnagdim, Ashkenazim, and sefardim, all devening together, in an airport terminal!

Last edited by mordey; Jul 13, 2006 at 6:31 am