FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Getting a hotel room for a month, experiences?
Old Jul 12, 2006, 8:09 am
olimaspecto

Programs: AA EXP/4MM, UA GS, AS MVP GOLD 75K
Originally Posted by dbuckho
I moved to LA from DC a little more than 3 years ago. My company gave me a flat relocation fee and left me to take care of my own arrangements, so whatever I could save went straight to my pocket.

My job is close to LAX, and my former employer had an amazing rate at the Hilton LAX (similar to you, I wanted a property I knew, and I had stayed here a lot). In addition to that rate, I called the hotel sales/revenue manager and discussed what else could be thrown in for the length of stay and my HH gold status at the time? Of course the taxes were not charged for staying over 30 days. Agreed on a very large corner room, and they offered to put a refrigerator in for my stay. Status would get me into the lounge for breakfast, snacks, evening happy four finger food, cookies, and drinks. I negeotiated a discount on the parking (which usually was an additional $10 a day at LAX - got it for a few bucks per day). And finally got free Internet access in the room (though not sure they actually charged for it at the time for Gold/Diamond members).

That was good enough for me, so I made the reservation. I ended up hitting the jackpot by getting a fast track to Diamond in the middle of my stay. Crossed over with the last night at LAX so between the low rate, comfortable situation, and getting Diamond it was well worth it. So definitely have a list ready for the hotel manager -- unless their property is really busy, my guess there are lots of things they can add to the mix.

After the initial month+ at the Hilton, had to go to a conference in Vegas and had about another two months before my house was ready. Was trying to decide whether to just keep the room at the Hilton for the tax benefit or check out? I ended up landing a room at the LAX Sheraton on priceline for the 4 nights between my getting back from Vegas and a trip back to DC. That rate was $36/night -- almost half what I was paying at the Hilton. With SPG Gold they gave me an odd corner room they have there -- it is setup like a suite because it is that big, though it is one room. Was pretty happy with that. But then even better, they mistakenly put a receipt under my door the last night and I saw the priceline rate was $31/night. I was back and forth between LA and DC for the next six weeks, so everytime I was back in LA I would just priceline 3* LAX hotels at $31/night. Always got either the Sheraton (and always got that great room) or Crowne Plaza (regular room, but free breakfast for my Priority Platinum status). I am not necessarily recommending this strategy for you since you want to earn SPG Platinum and not sure if you are paying or if work is? -- but I would recommend checking out all the options for your dates and needs to see if one of the other area chains may have a better deal (and you could probably get an instant status match or challenge that way).
Thanks for the info there and the story. Very interesting...

I do second the point on Priceline and it is amazing to me the rate you can get at the same hotel (of course no points, etc) but still a great rate. Of course priceline is only limited to 30 day stays so you have to pay the sales tax, but you can stay a bundle. Using BetterBidding and priceline/hotwire I found some amazing $40-$60 rates at big name properties in LA.