FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Getting a hotel room for a month, experiences?
Old Jul 11, 2006, 1:07 pm
olimaspecto

Programs: AA EXP/4MM, UA GS, AS MVP GOLD 75K
Originally Posted by Fly AA J all the way
Thanks for the clarification. Based on what others said, it sounds like at the 30 day mark I get to save a lot on taxes, which might be worth it to me. I would also be more than happy to negotiate something (if possible) where I earn only stay credits, and no points. My Starpoints are all on that direct deposit to AA, so a few thousand AA miles aren\'t that valuable. Plat at SPG is. I will just call the revenue manager and see what can be worked out with this particular hotel. Thanks.
Yes, the taxes you can save are nice (anywhere between 7% and 20% depending on where you stay in the country - though LA area is around 15%). The way it works is that after you stay for the 30th day, you get the taxes up to that point refunded and any future taxes waived.

It is my understanding however, that no hotel will be able to waive the taxes AND give you the Starwood credit/points. Its an either/or thing, because you are either a guest at the hotel (and settle up every few weeks or so, so that no stay is more than 30 days) or you are a tenant at the hotel (where you get the taxes waived).