FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Cheapest way from LGA to Manhattan?
View Single Post
Old Jul 10, 2006, 3:28 pm
GUWonder
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Welcome2Miami
I wanted to know what's the cheapest and/or easiest way to get from LaGuardia to lower Manhattan?

I was told I can take express trains 4 or 5, but since I'm going for an interview, I want to be as worry free as possible.

How much would a cab run on either direction?

Thanks
The cheapest is the bus/subway, which can be done for $2.00 (or even less) each-way via a MetroCard (to be purchased before boarding the MetroBus, perhaps even at a news kiosk at the airport). A cab to lower Manhattan would run closer to $27-$42 bucks each way (tolls included), depending on how bad traffic is to the place you are going to/from and the route taken. If it's rush hour, the subway can be a better option even for the less-price sensitive.

If going from LGA to say down to the Wall Street area, I'd take a cab to the subway in East Harlem or to the Upper East Side and take the 4,5,6 down to City Hall/Brooklyn Bridge or Fulton at most hours other than during rush hour. To the WFC area, I'd take a cab to a nearby subway stop in Queens like Jackson Heights/Roosevelt Avenue and then E-train it downtown. There are several other combinations/permutations that are possible, but I'd definitely avoid doing a cab the whole way during rush-hour unless there were other concerns involved. (One such concern could be to avoid dealing with the heat.)

Last edited by GUWonder; Jul 10, 2006 at 3:38 pm