FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Looking for Ideas for 10 day Alaska trip
View Single Post
Old Jul 10, 2006, 1:35 pm
lawchild

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, IHG Spire Elite, Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite, Hertz President's Circle, HH Silver
Originally Posted by jackal
Also, you say in Day 6 that you'll take the 12:15 ferry and be to Whittier by 3pm. Unless they're using the new catamaran (which I think is being used in Southeast or is out of service pending repairs), I remember the ferry ride lasting about 7 hours. If that's right, you'll arrive in Whittier more like 7pm, which should still be fine for getting to Cooper Landing by a reasonable check-in time (9pm or so, perhaps). Make sure to verify the arrival time and the tunnel schedule, just in case--I know they close the tunnel at night, but I'm sure they keep it open at least that late so that the ferry traffic can leave Whittier.
I'm pretty sure the Chenega fast ferry has been doing the PWS runs without problems. The Fairweather, which does the Lynn Canal loop (Haines-Juneau-Skagway) and Juneau-Sitka runs, is just now getting out of the shop. It is always a good idea to check the updated schedules at ferryalaska.com. And make sure that you have reserved space for the car and all people in it (driver is not included in the summer).

BTW I have heard that the Harding Icefield hike in Seward is just fabulous so glad to see you are doing that. Just make sure that you give yourself the whole day for it (which it seems you are doing).

In Anchorage I like the Moose's Tooth Pizza & Brewhouse. You might look into getting groceries/snacks at the New Sagaya market. Fred Meyer has a surprisingly good organic & veggie-friendly section. Girdwood is rumored to have a good restaurant scene, but all I've eaten there is the coffee at Alyeska.

For your last night, I've been pleased with the Anchorage Grand Hotel. They have suites with bedroom & fold-out sofa and are right next to the weekend market downtown.