FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Looking for Ideas for 10 day Alaska trip
View Single Post
Old Jul 10, 2006, 8:28 am
desi101

Originally Posted by jackal
I did this drive several years ago and found it stunningly beautiful--a moonscape feel similar to the area around the Arctic Circle along the Dalton Highway. You'll run into wildlife everywhere in Alaska, but because of the huge, open expanses along this road, you'll probably see more of it here than most other places. HOWEVER--please note that driving the Denali Highway WILL VOID your National/Hertz/any other major company rental agreement as I mentioned in one of my previous posts. I forgot to add one other note along those lines: in addition to any hassles with your insurance company should something happen, if the vehicle were to experience a mechanical breakdown (not likely with the new vehicles in the rental fleets, but entirely possible--and sometimes new cars come with new defects), you will be responsible for a portion of (or even all of) the towing bill that would normally be covered by the vehicle's warranty. When you're 100 miles from a paved road and 300 miles from the nearest service center in Wasilla, Anchorage or Fairbanks, the towing bill can be substantial, to say the least. I'm not trying to scare you--I'm just trying to give you all of the information so you can make an informed choice. Check with the rental companies to see their policies on this and to see if anyone can recommend a company that does not prohibit their vehicles from driving on gravel highways.
Well, I should have mentioned earlier - my original plan was ANC - Denali - Denali Highway (Cantwell to Paxson) - Delta Junction - FAI and then back to ANC. And then to do south tour. But then after reading through more about Denali Highway here as well as on TripAdvisor, we thought it might be just "safe" to do the trip this way instead. I don't want to take risk of car breakdown in middle of nowhere. If we had another couple with us, we would have definately taken Denali Highway. I have read a lot of about the beauty of nature on that highway and we know what we'll be missing but at the same point, I don't want to keep thinking in back of my head while driving on that highway - what if my car breaks down.

I will post more details in response to yamonjon & jackal in few hours. Meanwhile, if you have any lodging recommendations for Denali, Seward & Homer - let me know. Thanks!