FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Looking for Ideas for 10 day Alaska trip
View Single Post
Old Jul 4, 2006, 8:47 pm
cbalaska

Programs: DL DM,MM; AS; USeless Air, HHonors Diamond, Starwood Plat, Hyatt Gold
Wow - it's a very aggressive itinerary and even if you do half of it, you'll love the adventure and experiences. My very first suggestion is to get a copy of The Milepost - "the Bible of the North" - I lived in Alaska 28 years and everytime I took a long road trip (usually down the Alaska Highway to Seattle), I got a new copy. You can pick it up at Borders, Barnes & Noble or at www.themilepost.com.

Let me go thru your itinerary and make a few suggestions. You'll be amazed at two glaring facts when you visit....

1. With the Midnight Sun still very evident in late July, early August, especially the farther North you go, you'll lose track of time of day and you can still be out hiking in daylight and not had dinner yet and not even realize it's 10pm. Be prepared to pack a lot into those endless daylight hours. By the way, because of the Midnight Sun, I guarantee you WILL NOT get a call to see the Northern Lights - it has to be dark out for that to happen - sorry.

2. The state is HUGE and there is very little road access, and most of that is 2 lane roads, so even though you're just traveling 120 miles in a day, it may take a lot longer than you think (good thing the days are so long!)

Day 1 - fine - shops are open until 10pm downtown so it's a good time to stretch and walk around after that long flight. It's just 10 miles from the airport, although the Sheraton is a bit further and I'd have the hotel shuttle drop you at the Log Cabin Visitor Center at 4th and E - you can safely walk within a several block radius and find cool Alaskan stuff, great parks, views and food - no worries about being vegetarians - most restaurants offer plenty of choices besides salmon & halibut! Simon & Seaforts at 4th & L has great views.

Day 2 - don't rush your trip to Denali - it's a spectacular drive and you want to take time - bring a picnic, stop at one of a handful of rest stops. The 15 mile side-trip drive into Talkeetna is worth it!. If you leave at 9am, plan on being there around 3 or 4. A GREAT option is to take the train to Denali - stop over for 2 nights to do all the things you want to do - and then the train to Fairbanks. Then get your rental car in FAI. see www.akrr.com.

Day 3 - 4 - all good - especially the river rafting - if you like adventure, go for the 4 hour trip thru the Canyon. Try Denali Cabins or Denali Grizzly Bear Cabins for a true Alaska experience.

Day 5 - Before leaving Fairbanks, you might drive north out to Fox and go gold panning - a fun stop. You can even drive a little further and be on the Haul Road (to Prudhoe Bay) for a few miles - just to say you did it!
The Princess Lodge you're going to first is at Copper Center (not Cooper Center). The one near Kenai is at Cooper Landing. If you're into Xmas at all, be sure to stop at Santa Clause House in North Pole (10 miles south of Fairbanks). The drive to Copper Center is about 5-6 leisurely hours with stops. The Pipeline is visible for much of the way.

Day 6 - the next town you're going to is called Valdez (not Valderz). Beautiful waterfalls just before you get to town. Not much you can do there since 9-11 closed down the Pipeline Terminal tours - I think there's a museum there now.

Now you have to make a decision because Valdez is on the west side of Prince William Sound and Whittier is on the east side - about 8 hours by ferry or you'll have to drive back around thru Glennallen and Anchorage. Can't put your car on 26 Glacier cruise and there's no road across the Sound. Check http://www.dot.state.ak.us/amhs/ for the ferry schedule - that's your best bet and prettiest route.

Day 7 - if you took the ferry, no need to do the cruise. BTW - no hotel in Portage and only one in Whittier but there's absolutely nothing to do there. I'd recommend heading down to Seward (not Kenai) when you get off the ferry. Windsong Lodge is beautiful and on the road to Exit Glacier - I'd stay there 2 nights. If you go to Kenai, there's a lot of driving and back-tracking the next day for not a lot to see.

Day 8 - you'll head toward Kenai going to Cooper Landing and the Princess Lodge, but it's a beautiful part of that road.

Day 9 - be sure to ride the Tram at Alyeska Resort - it's worth the trip for amazing views and you can hike up to the glacier on the ski mountain. Another great hike is out the Winner Creek Trail behind the hotel. You can take a cool hand-pulled small 4-person open tram across a river and end up at Crow Creek Mine. The hotel or The Bicycle Shop on the way to the hotel may rent mountain Bikes for the day - definitely a great stop if you're hikers.

Day 10 - great shopping downtown but I'd also suggest a visit to the Alaska Native Heritage Center on the esat side of town for a wonderful introduction to the state's native cultures.

I could write a book but this should be a good start. I moved from Alaska last year and have been quite homesick lately longing for the Midnight Sun (it's pitch black in FLL before 9pm - ick!). Thanks for the great trip down memory lane. Have fun!