FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - OK to book handicapped accessible room if able-bodied? Elite upgrades?
Old Jun 30, 2006, 6:52 pm
Katja

Originally Posted by Hanlgt
Bottom line is I think they only had one, and I assume that they don't have a Deaf person stay there every night, but it would be nice to know it would be available to us when we need it. I have never seen it before at any other hotel, but I have to admit that I have never asked for it when I travel with my husband since I am not Deaf.
I've seen a number of such rooms - at the Hyatt Regency Huntington Beach they combine all possible accomodations in a single room - there was a fire alarm while I was there, and the strobe light went on several seconds ahead of the audible alarm. I nearly fell out of bed from the shock before figuring out what was going on. Then I broke a speed record for getting into a wheelchair, out of the room and into the elevator before they shut it down.

Somewhere (probably a Marriott), I requested a wheelchair accessible room and received instead a room designed for the use of Deaf or HI guests; I couldn't even get into the bedroom due to the furniture configuration.

I've stayed at several Courtyards and Residence Inns where the room had a doorbell with a switch that could be flipped to enable a visual bell.