FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - OK to book handicapped accessible room if able-bodied? Elite upgrades?
Old Jun 30, 2006, 5:07 pm
Hanlgt

Programs: US Air, AA, starwood gold, hilton gold, priority club
My husband is deaf and disabled, and although this is somewhat off-topic, I wanted to report about a room we were given at a new Marriott in Burbank that was specifically for a Deaf customer. I can't remember if it had other accessible features in the bathroom such as grab bars(I think it did, as my husband needs them, although he is not in a wheelchair). The room was great in that it offered flashing lights when someone rang the doorbell, or if the fire alam went off, etc. This innovation is great for those like my husband, who are rather anxious about staying in hotel rooms alone. Usually he has to tell the front desk that he is deaf and then be at the mercy of anyone who is therefore told about it--meaning that he can easily either be a victim of a burglary while asleep, or risk that someone remembers he can't hear a fire alarm if the need arises. Therefore, he rarely goes anywhere alone, and this room at the Marriott was really great.

Bottom line is I think they only had one, and I assume that they don't have a Deaf person stay there every night, but it would be nice to know it would be available to us when we need it. I have never seen it before at any other hotel, but I have to admit that I have never asked for it when I travel with my husband since I am not Deaf.