FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Sheraton Maui, Ka'anapali, Hawaii [Master Thread]
Old Jun 29, 2006, 3:03 pm
Boraxo
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
This really should be consolidated with one of the many existing Maui Sheraton/Maui Westin threads.

Some observations:

(1) Not all mainland flights arrive 10-2pm. There are quite a few that leave the West Coast in the afternoon and early evening, plus others that connect through Oahu. So I would imagine they get arrivals all day long. Balance that against SPG elites who request late checkout (which is not always available at resorts, but often granted, at least to 2pm) and you can see why rooms may not be available before 3pm for everyone.

(2) If you read the existing threads, you will see that many (myself included) recommend specifically requesting Building 6, where all rooms have direct ocean views. This building is also quiter than the other ones closer to the lobby, though it is more of a hike from the pool.

(3) The pool area was not very crowded during our stay, but I would imagine the occupancy levels and clientele are different in November and June. The consensus (again from other threads- and I concur) is that the Westin has a better pool area and the Sheraton has a better beach. YMMV.

(4) Food at the hotel is overpriced, as is true for most of the resorts in Kaanapali and even many of the restaurants in Whalers. Better value can be found in Lahaina, or even better down in Kihei.

(5) Overall I would give the property an 8/10 - subtracting 2 points for some noise issues at the pool (running leaf blowers throughout the prime afternoon hours is unacceptable ) but otherwise very satisfied with our stay. The workout room is pretty mediocre for a resort, moreso when you consider the mandatory resort fee.

Additional Note: If you are planning to stay for 5+ nights and want to save some coin, try to get on the SVO list for the current offer of $749 for 5 nights plus an Avis car and a $100 dining cert. That works out to $100 per night plus tax, which is a steal even compared with other promo rates.