FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Delta Turns Focus to Regaining Respect
View Single Post
Old Oct 8, 2003, 8:51 pm
traveling_again

Programs: AA EXP/MM, HGP ♦; former elite in Hilton, Marriott & DL (just under MM thanks to Leo)
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by sxf24:
I must be missing something with the whole RJ issue...

Using smaller jets increases frequency and opens up new routes. Isn't this what customers want?

I typically fly Delta from via SLC to FCA, MSO and GTF.
</font>
Yes sxf24, you definately are missing something.

This is a "use the right tool for the right job" situation. Lets see, SLC-FCA is 532 miles, SLC-MSO is 436 miles & SLC-GTF is 464 miles. All reasonable lengths for a RJ and all but SLC probably qualify as regional airports (I have only hit FCA, and SLC ofcourse). Plus- you are flying on the highly ranked SkyWest.

Want to see what you are missing? Try taking ASA from DFW-OAK. And you say somebody out there prefers this, and for what, increased frequency? No, my feeling is that playing the ASA departing at ??:?? game, followed by four hours of forced sitting in a unneccessarily compact cabin is pure pain and torture. DFW to OAK in a RJ is like using a butter knife to drive sheetrock screws.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by billhar:
"smaller jets to reduce capacity and increase the number of flights"

This guy is a idiot.

On time now will be sacrificed due to getting back to the skies getting crowded with RJs...
</font>
Right, but its not just the skies. Anybody notice how bad the morning taxi out of LGA has become? Last couple months my best case was 30 minutes (sunny day) and worse case was 1:45 minutes (low cloud cover). It is deja vu to 1999, with one big exception. As we begin the long crawl to the runway, I often count as many as 2/3 of the aircraft parade to be RJs (various "connection" carriers for all the legacy airlines).

[This message has been edited by traveling_again (edited 10-08-2003).]