FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - W Dallas Victory Hotel [Master Thread]
View Single Post
Old Jun 27, 2006, 8:27 am
WineIsGood

Programs: AA Exec Plat, United Plat
Arrow W Dallas Victory Hotel [Master Thread]

I stayed at the new W in Dallas last night. They definitely weren't on top of everything, being that they've only been in operation for a week. Here are some highs and lows:

High Points
Lots of staff on hand
Lots of staff on hand
Room service food was pretty decent
Nice toiletries (bliss brand)
Nice desk chair

Low Points
Tiny hair dryer (if I wanted a travel-sized hairdryer, I would bring my own)

Excessive "help" - three different guys literally grabbed my bag out of my hands. I had to fight with them to carry it up to my room myself! I really hate that. It's a 10 pound overnight bag. I can carry it myself, thanks.

It took 20 minutes to check out because my breakfast room service charge hadn't yet appeared on my bill and apparently it was difficult to resolve.

There was a fire alarm test at 6:20am. !!

There were about 10 valets who shouted at me about where to stand to wait for my car, that I had to keep my ticket, etc. One actually asked me "are you late for work or something?" because I was hurrying to get into my car and get outta there.

Room service took 30-40 minutes to arrive. Once with no glass of water (the delivery person dropped it in the hallway) and no jam/preserves/jelly (for a bread-based breakfast).

My phone rang twice at random times (~10pm and ~7am) and the caller hung up right after I picked up. Could have been another guest, could have been an employee calling the wrong number.

No spa menu in the rooms (would be nice to have since the Bliss spa is a big part of the hotel)

A used pack of coffee was left in the coffee maker (ew - just a tip for all the housekeepers out there: if you have to put a new pack of coffee on the tray, that means there is probably a used pack inside the coffee maker. Please throw it away.)

The bathtub had some grime on the bottom that I had to clean off before I took a shower.

Broadband was acting weird for part of my stay (dropped the connection a few times)

The lights in the rooms are very dim, which is fine if I'm just hanging out in the room but is not so fine if I'm trying to work.

Overall
It was an ok experience overall, given that I'm cutting them some slack for being new. They have some work to do, but I think they will improve over the next few weeks. Some of the things I mentioned are just a matter of the staff getting used to the new hotel, some are more serious.

I expect I'll be staying there again (how many times depends on how much they improve) this summer, so I'll try to remember to write an updated review later.