FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - June Asian Trip Report CX, UL, NH, SKY, UA, NW, LX, SQ
Old Jun 23, 2006, 5:43 pm
Carfield

Part II: Japanese Domestic Flights

Part II: Japanese Domestic Flights

Photo Link:
http://share.shutterfly.com/action/w...=8QbNHDNy5bsuM

I finally got to find out what traveling is about in Japanese domestic flights. First thing I learned is that there are lots of low fare/low cost airlines and they have all go to a “non-service” track with absolutely no service to talk about – no in-flight magazine, no beverages & caterings of any sort even in their “premium” cabin. The only amenities are blankets. Second, things are very efficient in the ground, and lines are barely found even at peak hours. Third, security is all good and efficient. You know you are perfectly safe and the staffs are helpful. TSA should send some staff to Japan to learn about manners. Fourth, Japanese airports are great with lots of food options and shops. The Haneda domestic terminals are amazing. You almost forget that you are at the airports, and they take good care of the aviation enthusiasts by providing great observation decks.

June 9, 2006
SKY 007 HND-FUK Lv0925 Arr1110 Boeing 767-300 JA767B
The morning started off with me walking around terminal one looking for Skymark Airlines’ counters. Of course, without any sense of direction, I walked the wrong way, and there was no line. The agent asked if I spoke Japanese, and then checked me in quickly. If you buy tickets online, you are expected to show your credit card, but it is possible to buy tickets on line even from overseas. It is very simply and easy. After check-in, I went to get breakfast.

Passing security was efficient and quick, and I realized that SKYMARK used mainly bus gates in Haneda, but I spotted one of their Boeing 737-800s using a real gate. Anyway, the agent began boarding at 9:05am. Due to the rain, things ran a bit slower, but after three loads of bus, the F/A closed the door. We pushed back at 9:31am and slowly headed towards the queue for R/W16L. At 9:49am, we took off and our flight to Fukuoka was an hour and forty-five minutes. The F/As basically did three rounds – blankets, schedules, and then picked up trash at the end. Most of the time, they were in the galley.

After reading much about Skymark Airlines through different Japanese magazines, I thought the Cyrus Class will feature at least some beverages and snacks. However twenty minutes into the flight, there were no actions and beverage orders. Everyone just went to sleep. Then I decided to read some of the timetables that I picked up and then through reading the intro, I realized that they had cancelled all those services in order to give out lower fares. Then I realized why all the F/As were hiding in the galley. I think if they spoke better English, they would tell me. Well you can be reassured that I won’t be flying Skymark Airlines any more.

Descent began at 10:53am, and we landed on R/W34 at 11:32am at gate 2.

NH 252 FUK-HND Lv1220 Arr1355 Boeing 747-400D JA8099
Well with a late arrival of my Skymark, I did not have time to wonder around the Fukuoka Airport. I headed immediately to the check-in counters and then found the Super Premium check-in counters, which were fairly busy, but good. The agent was friendly and then I got my boarding pass within minutes. Then the agent asked me if I knew the location of the Signet lounge, and then I wasted no time to head there to grab a snack and something to drink. The lounge was actually quite nice and as typical Japanese lounges, snack mixes and beverages are offered. Not much of real food to talk about… The airport itself was not much to talk about and our a/c soon arrived at gate 5 around noon. With a late arrival, we were guaranteed a late departure. They finally postponed the departure time for twenty minutes (of course, it would be nice if they could post it earlier, so I could stay in the lounge a bit longer).

Boarding began at 12:31pm with priority boarding reinforced, which was a good thing. I immediately headed towards my seat 1A. As I was about to take a cabin picture, the F/A told me digital camera was not allowed on the ground, takeoff and landing. I sort of understood takeoff and landing part, but not even in the ground. Anyway, newspapers were offered and there were English newspapers. A pair of slippers and headsets, were placed at each seat pocket with a pillow and blanket at each seat. The F/As assisted passengers with carry-on, and in thirteen minutes, doors were closed and we pushed back a few minutes later. That was one of the most efficient boarding experiences. With folks no need to worry about bags and willing to check in bags, it was not surprised that everything was done so quickly.

We took off from R/W34 at 1:03pm. Flying time was a much quicker an hour and nine minutes. Hot towels were first passed out, and then the cart was rolled out with the unique bento and beverage service – miso soup is offered as well. The bento was nice and there was a card that describes the content. I don’t speak or write Japanese, but will try to take a picture and/or scan. Maybe some of your Japanese speakers can tell me what it is. Using my own judgment, the main dish was rice topped with fish, shrimp, bamboo shoots and some fresh vegetables, and the side dishes include fruit (watermelon, cantaloupe, kiwi, and orange), a vegetable dish with Pumpkin, Tomago (Egg roll), pea pod, and lotus root, as well as a red bean dumpling. There are also pickles of course, It is a very fresh bento and tasty too. The ingredients are definitely all fresh, but some Western folks may find it strange. During the meal, the F/A made one more beverage run, and then when they picked up the bentos, they asked if you need more drinks. Like America West and Delta, everything was served in plastic and/or paper cups.

For entertainment, there was an episode of “ANA Sake Club II” shown. Descent soon began at 1:48pm and we landed on a rainy Haneda at 2:12pm on R/W34L, and parked at gate 59 a few minutes later.

There is no doubt that ANA Super Premium is very good – definitely the best Japanese domestic airlines. Hopefully I will be able to give JAL and Starflyer a try next time. Skymark Airlines is disappointing and for the first time, I really feel that concept of “airplane ride as a bus ride,” even stronger than flying Southwest. At least, WN offers you a drink and some peanuts (which are actually good too).